Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Good Evening Doha

Well, I'm finally in Doha. It's 11pm and I'm sitting on the 22nd floor of a high rise apartment building overlooking the massive construction and water view.

First let me talk about the flight. We had to stop quickly in Bahrain for gas up and drop/pick up passengers. When the new ones came on it's was a little weird. The first couple that walked on were the stereotype of Arabic couples. The man was wearing the white outfit with headpiece and the woman was wearing the traditional outfit where all you could see is her eyes. Then several business men walked on with the red headpieces. Major culture shock.

The Doha airport was interesting. I had to exit the plan and be bussed off to the terminal where it was a mad dash to the immigration desks. Easy people we'll all get in the country, I mean seriously, do you need to be first to enter Qatar? Is there some prize I was not aware of? Which, p.s., I saw a sign that asked if I wanted to be a millionaire. I could win 1 million AMERICAN dollars. It would be hilarious if I won 1 million dollars here and never once won the lottery. 

Leaving the airport to go meet my dad was interesting. I had to go through immigration, get my luggage, go through security and then..... then I walked through some doors and there was a mob outside waiting for people. I could easily spot my dad from a mile away... he's the only white guy wearing a hawaiian shirt with silver hair. I mean, it was pretty obvious.

Leaving the airport it was like frickin' Nascar. No one stays in their lane, every drives like crazy, it's insane. The first few minutes out of the airport looked like the movies with dusty arabic buildings, kind of run down, etc. Then you come around and can see the "Vegas" part of Doha. Bright lights and tall buildings. Completely insane and amazing.... pictures will follow soon but for now I'm going to crash.

No comments: