Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Souq Waqif

Today was my first day in Doha. I spent the morning lounging around the apartment. I opened up all the curtains and light just flooded the entire apartment.

After noon, dad came home and we went on a hunt for a good lunch. We tried to find a particular restaurant and saw a Moroccan restaurant next door. I have to say I love Moroccan food now. I had some couscous with lamb, chicken, and vegetables and my dad order lamb cooked with cinnamon and sugar. Never would I have thought to mix all of these foods, that we normally cook with herbs, with cinnamon.


After lunch we walked around the Souq Wawif (Old Souq), which at 2pm was empty and closed because people don't come out until after work in the evening. It's basically a huge market place that you see in the movies like Indiana Jones. It's one of the most bustling business areas of the city that evolved from the original weekend market.
This is a futbol scarf... for team pride.
One of the walkways to stores or residences.
The Souq Waqif has grown the past few years into a maze of narrow alleyways filled with small shops, with goods piled high to the ceilings and spilling out onto the pavement.

We're planning on going back during business hours and possibly bargain for some goods.

No comments: