Monday, November 26, 2007

Best Overall Restaurant!

Congratulations to Shebestan on being the best overall restaurant I've been to in Doha. The service was incredible. We went there around 7pm where their peak hour is around 10pm so there was not that many people there. The atmosphere was nice with luxurious furnishings and traditional music. We were given freshly baked bread along with some cool almost yogurt-like dip for vegetables. 

We then ordered a small mixed salad of homos and tabouleh. It was a perfect portion of everything so that we didn't fill up. I also ordered a drink which consisted of lemon juice and mint. It was similar to lemonade without so much sugar and add a lot of mint. So delicious and refreshing. It was a perfect complement for the appetizers. Dad ordered a soup along with everything. I tried some and the taste was incredible. It had cinnamon and other spices that made it smell and taste good. Dad told me after I had tried it that the soup was lentil soup. Who knew? Sorry Mom, before this I hated lentil soup but now I love it. Only Persian lentil soup though.

The main dishes were absolutely amazing. Dad order a curry dish. Normally I do not like curry at all, the spices are too much for me, but this was delicious. A little sweet and not at all spicy like other curry dishes I've tried. I ordered a lamb dish with rice. It was the best thing I've ever had in my entire life. The lamb was so soft they must have been cooking it for hours. The sauce on the lamb I believe was a tomato sauce of some sort. The rice was probably the best thing on my plate. It was incredible! I have no idea what was in it but it was sweet yet tasted of herbs, and was soft not dry or mushy. This rice was perfect. I was getting full but I couldn't stop eating the rice. The lemon and mint drink again was the perfect complement. DELICIOUS!

After dinner we ordered dessert. We hadn't tried dessert at the restaurants except the Lebanese one (which wasn't impressive). Dad ordered a custard type of dessert and I ordered saffron ice cream. We also had Turkish coffee. Al Bandar had good Turkish coffee and the Lebanese restaurant had terrible coffee. First we received the desserts. Oh they were to die for. Especially the saffron ice cream. I'm in love with this restaurant and want Ben & Jerry's to start making saffron ice cream. And now for the real test of a restaurant, the Turkish coffee... perfect! This restaurant was perfect all around. If I lived here I would be coming to Shebestan twice a week or more.

No comments: